Top 10 Things I've Learned From My Mom
Sometimes, it’s good to just remember. To reflect.
Moments pass quickly, and we have one chance each day to tell our loved ones how much they matter. And what better time to travel down memory lane than around Mother’s Day?!
Today, I am going to share with you some of the best moments and treasured knowledge that my mom has shared with me — and while you’re reading my list, I hope it inspires you to write down yours, and remember to thank that special woman in your life if you can.
1. Just say yes. My mom would always say yes to any adventure we could come up with. Every summer my parents would load up the family car, and we would drive to “someplace” whether it was down the road or across the miles.
Strong families don’t just “happen” — it takes creating intentional spaces where your family members can have fun, and enjoy the moments simply being together. Whether you’re currently making memories with your family or hope to have a family one day, remember to have joy!
2. Honor who you are and take care of yourself first. Self-care isn’t something brand new. As women, we’ve long known that we can spread ourselves too thin. And when we do that, we’re unable to be the best friend, sister, daughter, spouse, partner, mentor, or parent that we want to be! Spend time nurturing your whole self — body, soul, and spirit!
3. Be careful who you let into your inner circle. You don’t want to be in a clique or exclude people, but you can’t be best friends with everyone either! Be sure to only share your most intimate feelings and thoughts with people you trust explicitly — it will help to keep you and others from unneeded heartache.
And then when you let someone in, be sure to support the ones you love and look for the positive. Friends and family will let us down from time to time. But when you cherish the people that are close to you, supporting and loving them — they will always find their way back to you.
4. Stay Present. When you focus on the moment, you can let other distractions fade away. Whether in conversation or work, you will be a better version of yourself and more likely to look for the positive in everything.
5. Never go to bed without washing your face. Choosing a career in wellness and beauty, this daily tip stayed with me for life! Mom took our cleanliness very seriously and reminded us to care for our skin, washing our faces every morning and every night!
6. Hard work always pays off. If you’re going to do something, then do it well or not at all. When you do your best, no matter the situation, you can accomplish more than you think you can! You will make a good impression on those around you, and you will grow from every misstep.
7. Have fun...friends and hobbies are the spice of life! Work can easily consume you. But having hobbies that challenge you and friends that grow you, helps you to remain balanced! Learn how to have fun and enjoy life!
8. Be generous with others. Anyone who knows my mom knows she's one of the most generous people in the world. You can be generous with your time, your finances, and your home — all of these aspects bring the sweetness of hospitality and generosity to the world!
When you show interest in other people’s lives and spend time with your friends and neighbors, you are cultivating relationships that can impact the world. You never know what one word, one prayer, or one moment spent listening can do to impact a life forever!
9. Strive to be patient. Whether you need to be patient with yourself, a friend, or a child, remember the people who have been patient with you. If you want to have a peaceful life, patience will help you control every emotion, help you empathize with others, and let you open yourself to new ideas and perspectives.
10. Pray about everything. Philippians 4:6 says, “Don't worry about anything but pray about everything. With thankful hearts offer up your prayers and requests to God.”
Mothers who pray leave a legacy for their children that is laced with grace and mercy. I experienced it. And I was able to truly know that God cares. When you pray, you are able to release the emotions you have, process your thoughts, and ask for divine guidance as you meet the challenges and walk through difficulties.
I hope that this collection of my mom’s thoughts have inspired you and help you find the time to write down how your mother inspired your life! To all the moms — may you know you’re loved and cherished this Mother’s Day!
- Tags: Reflections