When you've woken up with a less-than-pleasant spot staring at you in the mirror, you need immediate relief! Whether you're going through puberty or are struggling with cystic acne as an adult, there are tried and true natural remedies for acne that can help alleviate some of the symptoms or clear up your skin altogether.
While these easy solutions can help immediately tone down the situation, using a clean skincare regimen with natural ingredients will help take your skin to the next level!
We're introducing the best natural at home remedies for acne — and even more of our favorite tips for treating your face for summer and beyond.
Natural Remedies for Acne
If you're wondering how can I clear my acne naturally, here are some of our favorite methods:
- Ice. Applying ice can help reduce the swelling and immediately give you some relief.
- Zinc. Be sure you're getting enough zinc in your diet. You can apply it externally to the acne or take supplements, but you must be careful not to take too much!
- Bentonite Clay. It can help reduce your body's toxic load and help absorb oils and bacteria. Be sure to get an organic clay powder, mix it with a touch of water or Apple Cider Vinegar and make a thick face mask. Let the mask dry for 20 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. This gem in the natural wellness world has a. few mixed reviews regarding your skin because it may cause some irritation. Be sure to dilute it with water (3 parts water: 1 part ACV), wash your skin before applying, and gently dab on. Let it sit for a few seconds before washing it off!
- Green Tea. Green Tea can help reduce inflammation, and drinking a cup daily can help your body find balance.
- Manuka Honey. This unique honey from New Zealand has antibacterial properties with anti-inflammatory properties! It's a double win. Apply a tiny dab as a spot treatment directly to the pimple and leave it for up to 15 minutes.
- Tea Tree Oil. This essential oil has potent anti-fungal and antiviral properties - but since you need to have the correct dilution with a carrier oil, we recommend trying a skincare product with it as a main ingredient, like our Faithful Anti-Acne Serum. If you do try it at home, be sure to use 12 drops of carrier oil for every drop of tea tree.
Best Way to Get Rid of Acne
You know the old saying — "Beauty is only skin deep"? You can't say the same thing about your blemishes. Often, acne results from other issues ranging from diet and water intake to hormonal changes, pollution, and the summer heat. Ultimately your skin woes come from your body producing too much oil and your pores getting clogged.
While we love our summer living — we're looking at you, sweat and humidity!
The best way to help your skin stay clear is to start with your inner wellness! Be sure you're tackling these at home remedies for acne —
- Drinking enough water to hydrate your skin and stem oil production.
- Eating a healthy diet that's rich in vitamins and minerals. If you're wondering what foods naturally get rid of acne, try incorporating more of these: fish, such as mackerel, salmon, and sardines, pastured eggs, soybeans and navy beans, leafy greens like spinach and kale, grass-fed beef, walnuts and almonds, and flaxseeds.
- Limiting your sugar (or cut it out entirely for a few days!).
- Helping your gut health with probiotics and naturally fermented foods.
- Sleeping well, intentionally creating healthy sleep habits.
- Reducing your stress levels and giving your body the care it needs.
- Use gentle, toxin-free skincare and body products on your body and in your home!
Easier said than done, though!
We know that healthy choices can take time to form and even longer to become a habit, so as you're working on looking inward, here are some other great skincare habits that you can take with you into summer and beyond — and also are considered natural remedies for acne!
- Wash your face regularly morning and evening. Find a face wash that doesn't strip your natural oils but keeps it hydrated well all year round! A milk cleanser can be an excellent choice to keep your face in balance.
- Shake up your summer skincare and makeup routines. While you may traditionally need help with hydration, a lighter serum may work better during the summer as you're chasing sunlight and dreaming of beaches and waves.
- Introduce exfoliants. Our Alpha Hydroxy Acid Gel Mask helps you avoid scrubbing your face - you apply, let it sit for 15-20 minutes, and rinse with cool water! Or you can leave it on as an overnight treatment (it's that gentle!). It's the best AHA nature offers to help you get that summer glow.
- Ditch the fragrances and sulfates. Be sure your products don't contain fake fragrances, chemicals, and sulfates that can strip your skin of the nutrients it needs.
- Keep your hands off your face. Your hands carry germs and bacteria to your face that can clog or spread existing acne. Try to minimize touching your face as much as you can!
- Follow Your Routine! It may be hard for the first week, but if you've never followed a skincare regimen, it's important to do the process every morning and evening! Below are the steps we recommend for glowing skin!
Best Natural Ingredients for Acne in Your Skincare
We've looked at every natural remedy under the sun and developed products to give you the best plant-based skincare products to heal your skin from the inside out. Want to know what kills acne the fastest? Some of the best natural ingredients are Tea Tree, Echinacea, Niaouli, Kava Kava, Aloe Vera, Pomegranate Seed Oil, Seaweed, Rosehips (Vitamin C and Antioxidants), and Fruit-based AHA (lemon, orange, bilberry, pineapple, and papaya). While you might not find at home remedies for pimples overnight, the combination of these home remedies and our skincare line can help you see definite improvements!
When you switch to Freegirl Skincare, you're getting the best natural remedies for acne that work! If you're unsure what you need specifically for your skin, don't hesitate to take our skin quiz or contact firstname.lastname@example.org!
If you try natural acne treatments and toxin-free skincare options and are still struggling with recurrent acne, be sure to check with your primary care doctor or a board-certified dermatologist.
If you have cystic acne, you may need to see your doctor to evaluate your thyroid levels to treat any underlying health issues. But following these routines for natural remedies for acne should help your skin glow and repair as you're treating acne and feeding your vital nutrients!