When you’ve woken up with a less-than-pleasant spot staring you in the mirror, you need some immediate relief! Whether you’re going through puberty or are struggling with cystic spots as an adult, there are some tried and true natural remedies for acne that can help alleviate some of the symptoms or clear up your skin altogether.
While these easy solutions can help immediately tone down the situation, using a clean skincare regimen with natural ingredients can help take your skin to the next level!
We’re introducing seven best natural home remedies to get rid of blemishes — and our favorite tips for treating your face for summer and beyond!
Home Remedies for Blemishes
- Ice. Applying ice can help reduce the swelling and immediately give you some relief.
- Zinc. Be sure you’re getting enough zinc in your diet. You can apply it externally to the acne or take supplements, but you must be careful not to make yourself sick by taking too much!
- Bentonite Clay. It can help reduce the toxic load in your body and can help absorb oils and bacteria. Be sure to get an organic clay powder, mix it with a touch of water or Apple Cider Vinegar and make a thick face mask. Let the mask dry for 20 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. This gem in the natural wellness world has some mixed reviews regarding your skin because it may cause some irritation. Be sure to dilute it with water (3 parts water: 1 part ACV), wash your skin before applying, and gently dab on. Let it sit for a few seconds before washing it off!
- Green Tea. Green Tea can help reduce inflammation and drinking a cup a day can help your body find balance.
- Manuka Honey. This unique honey from New Zealand has antibacterial properties with anti inflammatory properties! It’s a double win. Simply apply a tiny dab as a spot treatment directly to the pimple and leave it.
- Tea Tree Oil. This essential oil has potent anti fungal and antiviral properties - but since you need to have the correct dilution with a carrier oil, we recommend trying a skincare product that has it as a main ingredient, like our Faithful Anti-Acne Serum. If you do try it at home, be sure to use 12 drops of carrier oil for every one drop of tea tree.
Best Way to Get Rid of Acne
You know the old saying — “Beauty is only skin deep”? You can’t say the same thing for your blemishes. Often, acne results from other issues ranging from diet and water intake to hormonal changes, pollution, and the summer heat. Ultimately your skin woes come from your body producing too much oil and your pores getting clogged.
While we love our summer living — we’re looking at you, sweat and humidity!
The best way to help your skin stay clear is to start with your inner wellness! Be sure you’re —
- Drinking enough water to hydrate your skin and stem oil production.
- Eating a healthy diet that’s rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Limiting your sugar (or cut it out entirely for a few days!).
- Helping your gut health with probiotics and naturally fermented foods.
- Sleeping well, intentionally creating healthy sleep habits.
- Reducing your stress levels and giving your body the care it needs.
- Use gentle, toxin-free skin care and body products on your body and in your home!
Easier said than done, though!
We know that healthy choices can take time to form and even longer to become a habit, so as you’re working on looking inward, here are some other great skincare habits that you can take with you into summer and beyond!
- Wash your face regularly morning and evening. Find a face wash that doesn’t strip your natural oils but keeps it hydrated well all year round! A milk cleanser can be an excellent choice to keep your face in balance.
- Shake up your summer skincare and makeup routines. While you may traditionally need help with hydration — during the summer, a lighter serum may work better as you’re chasing sunlight and dreaming of beaches and waves.
- Introduce exfoliants. Our Alpha Hydroxy Acid Gel Mask helps you avoid scrubbing your face - you simply apply, let it sit for 15-20 minutes, and rinse with cool water! It’s the best AHA nature has to offer to help you get that summer glow.
- Ditch the fragrances and sulfates. Be sure your products don’t contain fake fragrances, chemicals, and sulfates that can strip your skin of the nutrients it needs.
- Keep your hands off your face. Your hands carry germs and bacteria to your face that can clog or spread existing acne. Try to minimize touching your face as much as you can!
- Follow Your Routine! It may be hard for the first week, but if you've never followed a skincare regimen, it's so important to do the process every morning and evening! Below are the steps we recommend for glowing skin!
Best Natural Ingredients for Acne in Your Skincare
We’ve looked at every natural remedy under the sun and developed products to give you the best plant-based skincare products intended to heal your skin from the inside out. Some of the best natural ingredients are Tea Tree, Echinacea, Niaouli, Kava Kava, Aloe Vera, Pomegranate Seed Oil, Seaweed, Rosehips (Vitamin C and Antioxidants), and Fruit-based AHA (lemon, orange, bilberry, pineapple, and papaya).
When you switch to Freegirl Skincare, you’re getting the best natural remedies for acne that work! If you’re unsure what you need specifically for your skin, don’t hesitate to take our skin quiz or reach out to me at jamie@freegirlskincare!
If you try natural acne treatments and toxin-free skincare options and are still struggling with recurrent acne, be sure to check with your primary care doctor or a board certified dermatologist.
If you have cystic acne, you may need to see your doctor to evaluate your thyroid levels to treat any underlying health issues. But following these routines should help your skin glow and repair as you’re treating acne and feeding your vital nutrients!